Sunday, July 22, 2012

My Last Mongolian Adventure


And now we come to the end. I spent my last 24 hours in Mongolia being lazy and packing. Thursday night my landlord was coming over to check out the apartment and give me back my deposit. I did a little cleaning up before and thank heavens I finished early because he, his wife, his son, their English-speaking friend, and (I assume) her son showed up 20 minutes earlier than I expected.  We figured out the money that I owed and they owed me. I told them I was leaving the apartment on Friday at 3:00pm (my flight left at 6:20pm, leaving at 3pm was giving myself a ton of extra time). They said they’d come back tomorrow at 2:30 to collect the key and to give me my money.

I spent Friday morning packing and lounging around my apartment. I didn’t really care about leaving the place spotless because we didn’t get the apartment in immaculate condition and we’d already agreed on what I would get back of my deposit. After putting off the final touches of packing by watching 2 movies and wasting time on the internet I was pretty much ready to go by 1:30 and was sitting on the couch watching stuff on my computer. Well thank heavens I was ready because they showed up early again, this time at 1:45pm.

After they handed me my wad of cash I figured I might as well go to the airport since they were there and I was ready to go. So I make ready to leave at the same time as the family and the landlord carries my suitcase down the stairs, very charitable I thought. When we get out of the building I kind of explain in gestures and the universal words of ‘taxi’ and ‘airport’ that I was going to a nearby hotel so they could call me a taxi to the airport (I was unable to call one myself because a. I don’t speak Mongolian, 2. I didn’t have the phone number of the English taxi service, and d. it’s impossible to explain how to drive to my apartment because we don’t have an address.) The landlord then puts my suitcase in his trunk and says ‘taxi’ and points. I figure I haven’t got much to lose: there’s not much danger as it’s him, his wife, and young son and they’ve never given me reason to be alarmed before. So off I go in their car with them.

The wife calls her English-speaking friend again and hands me the phone. She explains that the family is going somewhere near the airport and I can get a taxi from there and it will be cheaper for me; sounded good to me. We’re going in a direction that isn’t directly to the airport but kind of in the right direction. Then we turn off a main road and start going through a neighborhood of apartment complexes, eventually going into a parking garage where we park and get out of the car. Weirdly I still wasn’t nervous or alarmed, just slightly amused and confused. We then get into another car driven by another guy. We drive for another 10 minutes, pull over to a random side of the road and they take out my bag which is a signal for me to get out as well. The landlord flags down a car for me (the unmarked taxis are usually cheaper and I like them better anyway) and negotiates a price and puts my bag in the back. And then I’m off in my third car in an hour finally making my way to the airport.

I arrived 3.5 hours early for my flight, which was fine with me (although it would be nicer if there were any shops or food at this tiny airport, but I can’t have everything). 

My last shot of Mongolia taken from my taxi.

No comments:

Post a Comment