Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Darkhan (pronounce it without the ‘k’)


In April my boss took me with him to visit one of our affiliate offices. Darkhan is Mongolia’s second largest city and is bumpy 3 hours drive from UB. We left on a Thursday morning and came back Friday night. It was kind of fun to go on a ‘business trip’ but I didn’t have enough to do to really keep me occupied the whole time. Still, it was nice to get out of UB.

My favorite part of the trip was the drive going and coming back, even though at some points I felt like I was on a roller coaster the road was so bad (of course it is actually considered one of the better roads in Mongolia). I kept thinking about how there is no way my mom would survive this car ride, she would have had to take a Dramamine. I liked the drives because I got to see lots of the countryside and lots and lots of livestock. The weather was still chilly so it wasn’t green yet, but the snow and ice were mostly gone and there were some beautiful views.

The actual city was quite nice. It seemed so small compared to pretty much any other city and especially UB. I couldn’t believe that this was the second largest city. But it had a more hometown feeling and I thought it might be very pleasant to live there even though you’d be a little more isolated than in UB. The staff at the Habitat affiliate was very nice and they took me around the city to see the sights and past Habitat projects. I was also able to interview a past home partner which was great.

It was nice to have a change of my daily routine, but I was really happy to be come back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment