Thursday, May 10, 2012

So called Mexican Food

I have figured out that the amount of time I spend blogging is directly related to my general mood, so if you haven't noticed, the past few weeks my mood has been kind of apathetic. But a fair number of things have still been going on, so I'm going to try and catch up with a bunch of posts, so hold on to your hats.

Last night my organization had a little fundraiser. We got the 'Los Banditos' restaurant to sponsor us for a night and give us 15% of the proceeds from the night's sales to our Blue Sky Build project in July (the idea was actually mine because I was thinking about how my elementary schools used to do that with a local restaurant sometimes, I was just happy we could have a fundraiser that didn't involve me dressing up or hosting). 'Los Banditos' is the self-proclaimed "only Mexican Indian food restaurant in Mongolia," and with good reason. I have found through repeated attempts that Mexican food on any continent besides North America generally sucks (Switzerland is the ranking worst for me, they used raclette cheese!!!), and even in North America it can be hard to find decent and authentic Mexican food (ahem Boston). And yet I keep trying. Last night I ordered chicken enchiladas, which at first didn't seem too bad, they didn't taste disgusting, just off. Inside the enchiladas were the following ingredients: chicken, cheese, bell peppers, cabbage, kidney beans, corn, sliced mushrooms, and garbanzo beans. Sadly as I ate them they kept feeling heavier and heavier in my stomach, so I only ended up eating 2 out of the 4 on my plate.

The enchiladas.
When I took out my camera to take a picture of my food the guy sitting across from mistakenly assumed I wanted a picture of myself as well.
Part of the table I was sitting at.
Besides my inevitable disappointment with the food, I think the night was at least a success for the organization.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, so nothing bad happened? I was waiting to hear a story of food poisoning or something! You should know better than to expect good Mex in any place other than Mexico, or southwest US (and I'm being generous here. I really mean socal). It actually looks pretty good, which is maybe why you were even more disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least they made it look pretty. I'm sorry the food wasn't very good, but I'm so glad the idea was a success (and that it was yours)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cabbage in an enchilada? I'll have to try that next time. Or not.

    ReplyDelete