Thursday, January 5, 2012

Since you asked....

When I tell someone that I'm moving to Mongolia, the range of knowledge people possess about the country is as vast as the Gobi desert that makes up the southern part of Mongolia. A few individuals do not know where it is located, let alone the climate or anything else. I am not one to judge however, considering I knew very little about it up until a google blitz a few months ago when I heard this is where I would probably be going. So to help educate everyone a litte about the place I'm moving, this post will be about some basic information about Mongolia (information taken mostly from the Wikpedia page and the Lonely Planet Travel page).

Mongolia is a land locked country in-between Russia to the north and China to the south.

The population is about 2.5 million people.

95% of the people speak Mongolian.

Mongolia has an extreme continental climate. Winters are long and bitterly cold and summers are short. It has very low humidity and an average of 260 sunny days every year, earning the name of the "Land of Blue Sky." Average temperatures in January range from -5 F to -40 F, while the temperatures in July are 72 F to 52F.

Ulaanbaatar is the capitol city with over a million people living there (about half of the country's total population). It is the world's coldest capital and has some of the worst air pollution during the winter.

Since the fall of communism, Ulaanbaatar (and Mongolia) has been developing rapidly. People have been moving in large numbers to the capitol and living in ger (yurt) communities on 3 sides of the city.

Fun fact: There is a ratio of 13:1 horses to people.

These are just some basic facts about Mongolia. Since I'm not there yet, I cannot add any firsthand experiences. Please comment if you have any questions or would like to correct me on any of my facts.

4 comments:

  1. My question is are you prepared to live in a country that cold?!?! And I thought Boson was cold! Good luck friend! Boston already feels emptier without you but what an adventure awaits you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited to read all about your adventures in Mongolia!!! AHHH!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you working on habitats for the horses or for the people? Because wow, that's a lot of horses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh stephanie!!! so excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete